Technical Committee discusions (was: Re: /usr/doc transition and other things)

Previously Raul Miller wrote:
> First off, I'm not sure it's a good idea for policy to be a rapidly
> changing entity.

It's not a good idea at all, but as Manoj pointed out it's now changing
rapidly.

> Debian produces packages -- policy is a means to that end.

No, policy is a means of doing quality-control.

> Second, there is the mechanism of the techical committee.  The committee
> is set up to be able to turn around a decision in a week or less,
> once the groundwork has been laid.  The current situation [with the
> FSSTND->FHS directory migration] is taking longer than that, but it's
> hardly a normal situation.

Why is it hardly a normal situation? I fail to see this. The way I see
it is that policy is made via consensus on debian-policy. I can see that
you might want the ctte to bless a policy-change before a new version of
debian-policy is uplaoded, but it should not set policy. In fact the
constitution states at various point that creating policy should not be
done by the ctte. The ctte comes into action when there is a conflict,
either via section 6.1.2 or 6.1.3 in the constitution. In this case
there is such a conflict, and it is taking the ctte *weeks* to come up
with a decision.

At this stage I'm tempted to invoke section 5.1.3 of the constition and
make a decision based upon the strategies that were discussed here
earlier and rethink how the technical committee should work, since it
looks like it is not working the way it is supposed to.

Wichert.

E-Mail: wichert@cs.leidenuniv.nl