Re: shlibs file changes proposal

On Tue, Aug 17, 1999 at 08:33:11PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Since the new quake stuff uses this, I will not be uploading any of the
> > glquake stuff to master until such time as this proposal is addressed and
> > accepted or rejected.  Not having something like my proposed solution
> > really limits our ability to package some software without patching
> > sources or defeating the purposes of the shlibs file.  And in the case of
> > software like quake which is currently not even available with source yet
> > (soon I hope) ...
> >
> > It's a simple fix, tested, working, effective, and only slightly hackish.
>
> Why should free software developers go out of our way, and do
> something even `only slightly hackish', to transfer benefits to
> non-free software ?

Because it's the right thing to do?

Because even some free programs use shlib plugins without sonames and it'd
be better to maintain compatibility than to break it simply because we
would prefer to have sonames?

Because the work has already been done?

Because the change doesn't break anything but does add new features and
abilities?

Because it makes makes life easier for any maintainer who can not (for
non-free packages) or should not (free packages with plugins where it's a
good idea to maintain compatibility with 3rd party plugins) by not causing
the package build to fail every time dpkg-shlibdeps is run on a binary or
library which does something you didn't anticipate when writing that
script?

Because it makes dpkg-shlibdeps act more intelligently in such cases?

Because the current way dpkg-shlibdeps mis-mangles ldd output and panics
in the case of a library without a soname should be considered (yet
anouther) bug against dpkg?

Because nobody else has provided a better solution?

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>             Debian GNU/Linux developer
GnuPG: 2048g/3F9C2A43 - 20F6 2261 F185 7A3E 79FC  44F9 8FF7 D7A3 DCF9 DAB3