Re: [PROPOSAL] Directories for local initialization scripts

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Julio wrote:

> >I don't see why there should be any discrimination of local init
> >scripts, which only can be executed in rcS.d or after all other
> >scripts. This is a restriction which isn't necessary and doesn't
> >make sense.

> I agree. However, I've mentioned this as a possible
> approach. Another approach would be to use something like rc.local

The name rc.local isn't a good choice, because that's the name of the
BSD-init directory which has a different meaning.  What you mean is a
second /etc/init.d for local scripts, don't you?

> to hold the actual local scripts that are linked to rc?.d through
> update-rc.local, or even using a modified update-rc.d. This would
> make possible the specification of the execution order for the
> scripts.

So if I understand you right, your proposal is now reduced to the
following:

  Add a directory /etc/init.local (or maybe /etc/init.d.local?) for
  locally installed init scripts, which can be handled by update-rc.d
  like the script in /etc/init.d.

Okay, with this proposal I have less problems than with the initial
one, but the question is: Where do we need this for?

For backup reasons and the like it doesn't make much difference
whether the local init scripts are in /etc/init.d or /etc/init.local.
And if you like to make the local scripts distinguishable, why don't
you simply name them local.foo and place them in /etc/init.d?

Ciao

        Roland

--
 * roland@spinnaker.de * http://www.spinnaker.de/ *
 PGP: 1024/DD08DD6D   2D E7 CC DE D5 8D 78 BE  3C A0 A4 F1 4B 09 CE AF