Re: [PROPOSAL] Directories for local initialization scripts

At 01:00 AM 8/16/99 +0200, Roland Rosenfeld wrote:
On Sun, 15 Aug 1999, Julio wrote:

> > > I propose the creation of some directories to hold the local
> > > initialization scripts and separate them from the initialization
> > > scripts installed by packages. One possible approach would be to
> > > use /usr/local/etc/init.d or /etc/rc.local to contain scripts to
> > > be executed after all the scripts in /etc/rc?.d

> >Why should they be executed _after_ the other scripts?  This makes
> >your idea inflexible, because with this you won't have the chance
> >to start some "local" service _before_ some Debian service is
> >started.  For example you may set up a "local" script which
> >configures your firewall.  This script should be run _before_
> >starting any networking daemons (which are brought to you by
> >Debian, so they are started in /etc/init.d).

> So you'd put your scripts in /usr/local/etc/rcS.d

Maybe you missed the idea of using different sorting numbers for
different init scripts?

Nope.

I don't see why there should be any discrimination of local init
scripts, which only can be executed in rcS.d or after all other
scripts. This is a restriction which isn't necessary and doesn't make
sense.

I agree. However, I've mentioned this as a possible approach. Another approach would be to use something like rc.local to hold the actual local scripts that are linked to rc?.d through update-rc.local, or even using a modified update-rc.d. This would make possible the specification of the execution order for the scripts.

Ciao

        Roland

--
 * roland@spinnaker.de * http://www.spinnaker.de/ *
 PGP: 1024/DD08DD6D   2D E7 CC DE D5 8D 78 BE  3C A0 A4 F1 4B 09 CE AF