Re: Hard-coding release names in policy (was Re: [PROPOSED} delay the /usr/doc transition)

Hi,
>>"Chris" == Chris Waters <xtifr@dsp.net> writes:

 Chris> Well, when I made the proposal that started this thread, I was
 Chris> thinking in terms of a freeze date of Sept. 1.  Apparently,
 Chris> we're not going to freeze quite that soon, which does change
 Chris> things, and I'm willing to be a lot more flexible at this
 Chris> point, since we (unfortunately, IMO) have more time than I
 Chris> thought.

        Does that mean you would be willing to withdrawa this
 proposal, reservng the right to bring it up if we fail to come up
 with a solution closer to the freeze? You decide when we are close
 enough to the freeze to trigger this proposal again.

 Chris> Again, I think we need a way to describe our longer-term strategies
 Chris> somewhere.

 >> How formal do you want this to be? I would not make such
 >> strategy documents static, nor a part of policy. What about a file in
 >> the doc directory, to be removed when we are done? What about a fixed
 >> bug in the bts?

 Chris> Hmm, interesting.  I haven't really thought that far ahead.
 Chris> Basically, I saw this situation where we have long range plans, but no
 Chris> place to clearly document them, and it occured to me that maybe what
 Chris> we need is a "strategy document" to complement and guide our policy.
 Chris> I haven't really worked out the details, but your suggestions seem
 Chris> excellent.

        Well, if we ever do come up with a strategy that would span
 several releases of the policy manual, with the policy manual going
 through several ``states'' as part of the strategy, I shall include
 the strategy defining proposal (with rationales and all the arguments
 that we can come up with) in the policy package (in the
 /usr/(share/)?doc/debian-policy area. We can put in a different
 document for each such strategy, or retain one common one. I don't
 think this will be common enough an occurrence to worry about it much.

        manoj
--
 QOTD: "It's not the despair... I can stand the despair.  It's the
 hope."