Re: er

Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         Since they are jsut examples, I think they can be classified
>  as akin to documentation, and still go in the usual place, namely,
>  /usr/share/doc/package/*. There is no harm done, and no loss of
>  functionality.

Well there's a small loss, should someone actually share /usr/share between
two machines of different architectures, any architecture-specific example
files will not work on one of the machines.

Now I don't think compiled binaries are very useful as examples anyway, and
they should be rare or none, but I can imagine other valid
architecture-specific example files, like endian-specific data files or
something.

Putting that type of this in /usr/share/ seems against the FHS.

>         If all the examples refer to a single arch, we can have
>  /usr/share/doc/package/i386-examples/, which is clear and would
>  obvious to even a casual observer about what the contents of the dir
>  are.

That's a bit of a mockery of the whole idea of /usr/share, isn't it? It just
looks very weird.

I'd rather have /usr/lib/package/exmaples, with
/usr/share/doc/package/examples linking to it.

--
see shy jo