Re: policy summary for past two weeks

Hi,
>>"Joseph" == Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org> writes:

 Joseph> But it has been abused, quite seriously.  Popularity contests
 Joseph> HAVE been used to defeat sound technical solution to a purely
 Joseph> technical problem.  Given that the policy guidelines are not
 Joseph> meant to resolve technical issues of any controversial
 Joseph> nature, they're pretty much limited to fixing typos and
 Joseph> there's no point to needing proposals and seconds for that.

 Joseph> Structure is good to keep things moving, but the individual
 Joseph> developers need to be able to be part of it.  OTOH, what we
 Joseph> have now is essentially chaotic bureaucratic process, with
 Joseph> all the faults of such systems such as the now month or so
 Joseph> we've been arguing over this and gotten nowhere.  In fact, if
 Joseph> anything IMO we've taken a few steps backwards in the
 Joseph> process.

 Joseph> Of course this is all 20/20 hindsight.

        Yes. The whole process was predicated on the assumption that
 people on the list are cooperative, and are indeed trying to reach a
 compromise, and that the formal objection process would not be used
 except as a last resort.

        I would be very sad if we can't even do that.

         I had hoped that formal objections would not be used to
 derail a proposal that one did not like, but to nip in the bud any
 egregiously unworkable proposals. Maybe this should have been spelled
 out.

 Joseph> We apparently need to find some way to deal with
 Joseph> controversial technical issues.  A month's senseless flaming
 Joseph> and then appealing to the technical committee is going to get
 Joseph> slightly annoying.

        Is it too late to ask people to behave and try and work together?
 Instead of object first, and talk later?

        manoj
--
 compuberty, n: The uncomfortable period of emotional and hormonal
 changes a computer experiences when the operating system is upgraded