Re: Let's just convert debhelper and do NMUs

Le Wed, Aug 04, 1999 at 02:17:44PM +0300, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho écrivait:
> On Wed, Aug 04, 1999 at 12:29:29AM +0100, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> > why don't we follow the Perl team's lead
>
> I most definitely agree with your plan.

I also agree that there's no perfect solution and that we should just do
it even if partial upgrade is broken for users of unmaintained
documentation viewers (we know that apache can cope with it, other viewer
may too).

But I'm convinced that you won't be able to update all the packages for
potato. It's a pain to manage a list of "packages to update" and to
tell the maintainers again and again to update their packages ... even
with NMU there will be package you won't be allowed to NMU and that will
not be updated ...

Nevertheless I think that packages well maintained will be updated in time
and that 70% of packages will use /usr/share/doc ... for the perl upgrade
that's approximately the ratio I had : 250 packages had to be updated, 185
of them have been updated by their maintainers in time, the 65 left have
been NMUed or updated later.

Cheers,
--
Hertzog Raphaël >> 0C4CABF1 >> http://prope.insa-lyon.fr/~rhertzog/