Re: /usr/share/doc (was Re: weekly policy summary)

Hi,
>>"Anthony" == Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:

 Anthony> On Wed, Aug 04, 1999 at 01:05:13AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
 Marcus> Correct. I would like to see the proposal revived, with the
 >> Wold it not have been better to talk first, and shoot
 >> afterwards? At the moment, there is no provision for reviving
 >> proposals that have been killed by formal objections.
 >>
 >> I am not sure it would be wise in the long term to create such
 >> a provision anyway.

 Anthony> Erm. In another post you say that the policy update proposal
 Anthony> is just a guideline and doesn't have the weight of
 Anthony> policy. Here you're saying that it's Just Not Possible to do
 Anthony> anything not given in the guidelines.  This doesn't seem to
 Anthony> make sense.

        No. I said that under the guidelines, there has been no
 provision to reopen proposals that were rejected under the same
 guidelines. People are not really constrained to follow the
 guidelines.

 Anthony> I'd also like to add that "calling for a hold" on a proposal
 Anthony> and "objecting" to a proposal seem like *very* different
 Anthony> things to me. And at the very least, it seems that
 Anthony> objections should be able to be withdrawn when their shown
 Anthony> to be unfounded.

        Then, if enough people agree, we should so amend the
 guidelines. All I am saying is that currently, the guidelines do not
 mention reopening the proposals.

 Anthony> Are you willing to reopen the proposal, or would you rather
 Anthony> someone else open a new one on the same topic?

        I would rather not reopen the proposal, since caesar's wife
  .... Indeed, I would think that propsal can't be reopened unless
  some of the objections are withdrawn.

        manoj
--
 The telephone blasted Peter Fallow awake inside an egg with the shell
 peeled away and only the membranous sac holding it intact.  Ah! The