Re: /usr/share/doc vs. /usr/doc transition, debate reopened

On Wed, Aug 04, 1999 at 11:31:44AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Hmmm. This also seems like it might require pre-dependencies from every
> package against the new version of dpkg that handles following symlinks
> correctly.

Yeah. I'm not really happy about that, but I don't really see a way
around it, either. This isn't the first time that a situation like this
has come up, and it probably won't be the last. We need a more general
way of dealing with it.

> >    1. use both /usr/doc and /usr/share/doc; this upsets the partial
> >    upgrade people, and worries the UI people.
>
> "upsets" and "worries" aren't really very precise.

Sheesh. Try to do a tounge-in-cheek summary around here...I think
everyone needs to relax a bit. I figured that most people had already
heard the arguments enough times that they didn't need a detailed
summary.

> >    Don't explicitly use /usr/share/doc yet, and we can rig up a symlink
> >    to effectively use /usr/share/doc until we come up with a better
> >    solution; this upsets the policy-says-I-can-therefor-I-must people
> >    and dismays the people who have already converted their packages
>
> Requires changes to dpkg, which don't have a particular history of being
> made. Possibly requires lots of pre-dependencies that will last for ever.

But I think we're moving toward a need for a specific policy
pre-dependency. The doc dirs are only one issue. We also have (for
example) the mail dirs...

Mike Stone