Re: /usr/share/doc vs. /usr/doc transition, debate reopened

On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 12:05:39PM +0200, Kristoffer.Rose@ENS-Lyon.FR wrote:
> I am happy to tell you that we agree completely on the behaviour of dpkg on
> your example.  But you are ignoring a very important aspect of my proposal:
> THIS ONLY HAPPENS FOR DIRECTORIES INTERNAL TO PACKAGES.  It happens because
> olddir is actually REMOVED by the deinstallation.

This doesn't seem to be the case.

* Create three packages:
	test1 version 1.0 mimicing your average /usr/doc-using package
	test1 version 2.0 mimicing your average /usr/share/doc-using package
	test3 version 1.0 mimicing base-files

test1 1.0 has a file /my_usr/doc/test1/copyright,
          and depends on test3

test1 2.0 has a file /my_usr/share/doc/test1/copyright,
          and depends on test3

test3 1.0 has a file /my_usr/doc/copyright/GPL,
          and a file /my_usr/share/doc/test3/copyright

* dpkg --install test3_1.0_all.deb

* mv /my_usr/doc/copyright /my_usr/share/doc/
* rmdir /my_usr/doc
* ln -s /my_usr/share/doc /my_usr/doc

* dpkg --install test1_1.0_all.deb
* dpkg --install test1_2.0_all.deb

* ls -l /my_usr/doc/test1 -> empty
* ls -l /my_usr/share/doc/test1 -> empty
* dpkg -L test1 | grep my_usr/share/doc -> not empty

The packages are available as:

    http://www.debian.org/~ajt/test1_1.0_all.deb
    http://www.debian.org/~ajt/test1_2.0_all.deb
    http://www.debian.org/~ajt/test3_1.0_all.deb

Possibly I'm just misunderstanding what you're suggesting should be done
though. Can you give a sequence of commands that does whatever you're
suggesting, and still has those three packages survive unscathed?

Cheers,
aj

 ``The thing is: trying to be too generic is EVIL. It's stupid, it
        results in slower code, and it results in more bugs.''
                                        -- Linus Torvalds