Re: /usr/share/doc vs. /usr/doc transition, debate reopened

On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 05:44:40PM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 04, 1999 at 12:46:34AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > Then please provide a test3 .deb that *does* work. Simply getting rid of
> > all the /my_usr/doc references in test3 is *not* enough.
> > * install test3_2.0_all.deb
> > * note that /my_usr contains /my_usr/share but not /my_usr/doc
> > * ln -s share/doc /my_usr/doc
> > * dpkg -i test1_1.0_all.deb
> > * dpkg -i test1_2.0_all.deb
> > * Notice dpkg complains and that /my_usr/share/doc/test1 is now empty,
> >   while dpkg -L test1 says it shouldn't be.
> I've completely lost track of what you're doing at this point.

"test1 v1.0" uses /my_usr/doc.
"test1 v2.0" uses /my_usr/share/doc.

If there's a symlink from /my_usr/doc to /my_usr/share/doc, upgrading from
test1 v1.0 to v2.0 causes test1's documentation to be lost.

Simple as that.

Kristoffer has made a couple of suggestions that he claims fixes things.
As far as I can tell they *don't*.

> I'll
> submit this, though: I moved /usr/share/doc out of the way and did the
> move-doc-to-share/doc-and-symlink-usr/doc thing. I installed some
> packages and removed some packages. Everything seems to be fine. What
> _is_ the failure case here?

I made the debs available for a reason. Install them. Type the commands.
See what happens. Stop talking about what you *think*'s right, and start
actually *testing* it. This isn't a debating exercise: there *are* right
and wrong answers.

AFAICT, this is one of the latter.

Cheers,
aj

 ``The thing is: trying to be too generic is EVIL. It's stupid, it
        results in slower code, and it results in more bugs.''
                                        -- Linus Torvalds