Re: Debian runlevel policy?

On Sat, Mar 06, 1999 at 03:24:13PM -0800, Joseph Carter wrote:
> Things like xdm not starting because xfs/xfstt haven't started yet
> completely have been reported--quite annoying.  We do really need to look
> at the problem because of these types of things I think.  Hopefully we
> come up with something cool/sane!  =>

This shouldn't be a big deal.

The X server will exit, and xdm will try to restart it, up to four times.
After that it will give up, and no longer try to start an X server on that
display.

This works.  I've verified it multiple times.  For instance, set your
FontPath to refer ONLY to the font server, e.g.

   FontPath   "unix/:7100"

and kill xfs.  Then start or restart xdm with local server management.

xdm will try four, and only four, times to get the server started with no
fonts.  After that it will give up and return you to your original VC no
worse for the wear.  This process takes about ten seconds on my machine.

I guarantee that this works.

Now then, if someone's xfs can't get started completely in the time it
takes xdm to cycle the X server four times, I suggest they add the locally
installed fonts (which will be there if they're running xfs anyway) to the
FontPath, remove the font server from the font path, or use a font server
on a remote host.

Given the getty/xdm fistcuffs of the past, I don't think changing xfs's
order in the runlevels is going to fix anything.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |    I am sorry, but what you have mistaken
Debian GNU/Linux                 |    for malicious intent is nothing more