Re: FHS again (Re: slink is gone, goals for potato?)

On Wed, Mar 03, 1999 at 03:56:03PM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> [ moving to -policy, thanks! ]
>

> Would not be much easier to modify install-info itself, instead of
> changing so many packages to add a single option?
>
> [ We should probably change all packages anyway because the info file
> is usually referred by its absolute pathname, but I still doubt
> that adding an exatra option to every install-info invocation is a good
> idea. ].

The reason for forcing packages themselves to make this change, is that when
making a major change like this, you have to be sure package managers are
aware of the changes, and have modified appropriate files to prevent
bugginess. You always choose the path in policy that will leave most things
as they are, implicitly, until they are explicitly changed.
	In the future, when most everything conforms, policy can be reverted
and defaults can be set as you suggest. Everything that does not yet conform
to this area of policy gets a bug.

This is simply a basic tenet of wide-scale project management.

--
..Aaron Van Couwenberghe... ..vanco@sonic.net.. ..aaronv@debian.org....
	Berlin:			http://www.berlin-consortium.org

"...Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing..."
	-- Ralph Waldo Emerson