Re: Debian runlevel policy?

Branden Robinson <branden@ecn.purdue.edu> writes:

> I guess we should start a discussion as to what we want in the runlevels.
> If there's anything that shouldn't be in at least one of the multi-user
> runlevels, xdm is it.  What else?

The existing policy is that runlevels are for users to use to configure their
local site. I think that's a fine policy though perhaps users should be
offered a chance during installation to choose which levels any new daemons
should run at rather than assume they should run at all levels.

Perhaps something similar to the hooks needed for menu could be used, any
packages adding new /etc/init.d scripts set a flag to indicate a gui or text
program should be run at the end of the installation for the user to configure
the runlevels for the new scripts.

greg