Re: Mechanism for removing developers

> HK> So, if a maintainer doesn't answer within _one_ month he should be mailed!!! After
> HK> a second month he should be set to 'hold'.
>
> Haggie, what do you expect from maintainers set to 'hold'?

I don't like the idea of removing a maintainer, possible he will come back after a year
or so (you mentioned armee for an example). With status 'hold' i know then that he
is not reachable and all his packages aren't maintained. So i must not e-mail him and
wait some weeks, i can do directly an NMU.

The development steps for me are:

  * the autobuilder send me the compile-log  file
  * was the build successful -> uploading
    if not:
    - download of this package from a mirror
    - bug fixing
    - recompiling  (step back, recompiling and so on, sometimes more then
      100 of this turnarounds)
    - generating the diff, is this bug allready in the BTS?, no  so
    - submiting the bug
    - and waiting, waiting, waiting  ...

This is not a problem for say 10-20 packages. But for > 1500 you'll get crasy.

I do this now the last three years. Bug fixing. I can say >60% of all debian packages
includes my patches. It is a good feeling that packages are working!! Yeah, really!

But if bugs aren't get closed (quickley) i get in trouble, because i don't see any
results in my own 'bad' package list. For some packages this is realy bad: they
depends on other packages, and these depends also on other packages, ...

But ehhhh: i'm down to 10% failing packages!!

Greetings,

  Hartmut