Re: Is the dependency rule distribution-wise?

On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Santiago Vila wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Joseph Carter wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Feb 18, 1999 at 06:37:33PM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> > > Well, apparently the ftp.debian.org maintainers disagree.
> > >
> > > In slink, the info package is important, but depends on ncurses3.4 which
> > > is optional.
> >
> > info should be recompiled.  =p
>
> Yes, but the dependency of slink's info on slink's ncurses3.4 is "right"
> in the sense that the dependency found in the control file matches the
> real dependency of the info binary inside the info.deb package in slink
> (i.e. info dependency in slink is the one it is).
>
> Please note that policy says:
>
>    Packages may not depend on packages with lower priority values. If
>    this should happen, one of the priority values will have to be
>    adapted.
>
> It does not say "... or alternatively the package should be recompiled".
>
> If we are going to allow ncurses3.4 to be optional in slink, we
> should amend policy first.

However, clearly a new upload would solve the problem, no?  Or do you
claim that because policy does not specifically mention that possibility
that a new upload would solve the problem, it is actually *wrong* to
upload a new version?

Of course, Brian probably won't allow a new upload.  It's up to Brian to
decide whether this problem is release-critical or not.

Jules