Re: smarter way to differ architectures needed?

On Tue, Feb 09, 1999 at 11:35:23AM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Feb 09, Shaleh <shaleh@livenet.net> wrote:
>  >Seems like a good idea.  Maybe we can even get a Debian BSD someday (=  The
>  >BSD's could use a nice packager like dpkg.
> AFAIK the do not want to use it because it is GPLed.

That's cool. The license the DFSG, we can pinch the kernel and package it up
:-) Then port/rebuild all the tools, packaging BSD-specific ones where
needed.

I installed FreeBSD 2.2.5 here. My main comments were:
* The setup dumps the software on your disk but does nothing to configure
  it for you. I don't think any configuration was done of sendmail,
  for example.

* Everything except the very core is installed in /usr/local. This seems
  rather daft to me!

We would end up with Debian GNU/Linux running on BSD. We would like it,
but the BSDers would probably hate it. So then you have to wonder whether
the kernel is actually better than Linux, and if not, is it worth doing?

Hamish