Re: Gnome to be removed from debian? (retracted)

I am replying to my own email, as I think that is best in what I am trying to
say this time.

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Adam Heath wrote:
> Let's face it.  Gnome sucks.  I don't know if I can count how many gnome
> versions we have in slink/potato.  And then we have libaries that depend on
> gnome, and if a program depends on these secondary libraries, then you have to
> try and diddle around just to get it to compile.

I admit openly to being a console junky(ask anyone on irc), and only use x
when nescessary.  This 'gnome sucks' was only an observation of problems I had
witnessed people having when they came into irc.  I meant no ill will to the
gnome developers or packagers.

> I propose that gnome be removed from slink, until the gnome developers get a
> clue.  Maybe a distribution removing there pet project will be the clue bat
> they need.  They seem not to care about the rest of the world.

This was a mistake on my part.  I never meant to say slink here.  I meant
potato.  However, see below for more details.

> Now, as to why I cc'd policy.  There is a more serious issue at stake.  All
> these gnome libs and dev pkgs are quite confusing.  Users have a hard time
> deciding what they need.  And gnome hasn't even released 1.0 yet.  With gnome
> having major internal changes, on almost a daily basis, and then having those
> changes put in debs, leads to great confusion.

Again, see below.

> No other library has so many versions.
>
> Gnome might be stable, and not have segfaults/crashes.  But having it change
> so often is not good.  Debian needs to pick 1(one, uno) version of gnome, and
> stick with it.  Not these infinitely different versions.

I forgot the way debian works.  I have gotten so used to calling things hamm,
slink, and potato, that I forgot potato was UNSTABLE.  And that is the most
important part.  Debian has no guarantees on what happens when you run
unstable.

This multiple version problem does not exist for slink.  Having multiple
versions of a library, in an almost-released distribution, would be, in a
word, bad, but slink doesn't have this problem.  And potato is far from being
releasable.

Adam

ps:  I am sorry I even brought this up.