Re: Policy question

On Mon, Feb 01, 1999 at 06:24:22PM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:

> That solution works well for me.
>
> Although I'd call it /usr/lib/listar, probably.  (Did we dump

That's what I meant; /usr/lib/listar/restricted-executables/ or some such.

> /usr/libexec?  Oh well, I'm sure there was a reason..).

Apparently.  I know that lots of things have executables in that location.
(Majordomo, for one, which provides a good example for me to follow).  I'd
think of /usr/sbin, but it doesn't allow for this sort of trickery.

> I wouldn't have those +ws in place, though, unless they're necessary.

Well the -w can be taken off, but as I said, it does need to be setuid.

> IMHO, this is the wrong solution, but it's a fundamental problem.  The
> security model I'd prefer would involve listar running as a daemon
> continually, and giving it a secure way of telling that incoming requests
> (on some unix-domain sockets) came from authorised systems.  Probably

This would involve adding this sort of unix-domain socket support into all
the MTAs in use -- a problem, definately.

I am satisfied with having this sort of thing setuid/setgid and only
executable by the mail daemon.  However, what bothers me is the necessity of
placing it in a separate directory as a kludge to get proper (effective)
permissions for it.  What I'd like to see is true ACL support in the Linux
filesystem; such support would, if done right, obliviate the need to do
these sorts of hackish tricks.