Re: [PROPOSED] Change package relations policy to remove references to non-free from main

>>"Raul" == Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> writes:

 Raul> We need to have a clean administrative interface between the free and
 Raul> the non-free parts of debian.

        I think I agree here.

 Raul> Not everyone is going to be able to use the non-free parts, and
 Raul> not all distributions are going to contain the non-free parts.

        This is also true of the non-us parts. The solution we come up
 with should also address the issue of people not being able to access
 the non-US parts as well. Or, in general, any heirarchy being

 Raul> For the worst case "suggests -> enhances" mess, you could even
 Raul> create a single empty non-free package which enhances the free
 Raul> part and which suggests any of a suite of non-free software.
 Raul> This puts administrative control in the right place, yet leaves
 Raul> a clean interface between the part which may be freely
 Raul> distributed and the part which may not be.

        That is a such a gortesque hack. And what exactly is it buying
 that makes it better than improving dselect not to display missing
 heirarchies? (Apart from not handling the non-US issue, since most
 CD's here in the US do *not* carry the non-US category).

        Concentrating on the non-free in exclusion to the non-US  is
 putting the religious issue in front of technical ones; that's just
 one thing that bothers me about this proposal. So far, Debian has
 always been about excellence, not about fanaticism.

 Raul> I think that's much better than creating a "Maybe-Suggests:" and stuffing
 Raul> non-free references into the DFSG packages.

        If the references are never displayed *to people who dio not want*
 tham, why is that so bad? And why are we going through hoops to
 impose the religion on everyone else as well?

 An optimist believes we live in the best world possible; a pessimist
 fears this is true.