Re: Redefinition of `extra'

Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@beer.com> writes:

> Our `extra' definition is not complied by packages.
> Policy says that package which conflicts with `optional'
> package should go to `extra'. No httpd nor ftpd respects this.
> And I dont see any reason of chosing the only proper {ht,f}tpd

I disagree.  I think this should be handled on the same basis as the
mail system.  Those other ftp and http clients should be dropped into
extra.

Something in optional is the recommended Debian package; which says
that the normal user should use that package in preference to one of
the alternatives.  We are helpfully ranking the priority of different
alternatives by classifying one as "optional" and the others as
"extra".  This offers very helpful advice to users.

An alternative is to use the alternatives mechanism to remove the
conflicts for http and ftp server packages.

Thomas