compiled examples and more

On Sat, Oct 09, 1999 at 07:27:05PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> FHS-compliant location of compiled examples (#42849)
>   * Old.
>   * Proposed by Joey Hess; seconded by Julian Gilbey and Chris Waters.
>   * This is a proposal for dealing with architecture-specific example
>     files. The idea is to put them in /usr/lib/package/examples, with
>     symlink(s) as necessary to make /usr/share/doc/package/examples
>     point to them.
>     ( The main objection is that there may not be any files of this
>     type. /usr/doc/samba-doc/examples/examples/validchars/msdos70.out
>     does seem to be one. )

Thought I seconded this...  Ah well, since I was one of the people who was
interested in this (as well as one of those questioning if it's necessary)
I'll second it now.  If you must have arch-specific examples in a package,
this proposal deals with them as elegantly as possible.

> Correct section 3.3 to take account of file-rc (#41547)
>   * Old.
>   * Proposed by Julian Gilbey; seconded by Roland Rosenfeld and
>     Anthony Towns.
>   * Part of policy doesn't make sense if file-rc is being used. This
>     proposal is to clean it up so it does make sense, and moreover so
>     it emphasizes that update-rc.d is the only thing that should be
>     used to register init scripts.

Add my name to this one as well.  The abstraction here is a good idea and
should already be existing practice anyway.

> Policy still suggests /etc/rc.boot instead of /etc/rcS.d (#32448)
>   * Accepted.
>   * Proposed on 26 Jan 1999 by Brian Servis; seconded by Julian Gilbey
>     and Joey Hess.
>   * Change policy to refer to /etc/rcS.d instead of the old
>     /etc/rc.boot/

For clarification, we did agree that rc.boot should remain for local
sysadmin use did we not?

> SSH never free
>   * Under discussion.
>   * Proposed by Raul Miller; seconded by Marco d'Itri.
>   * Change definition of non-free to "contains packages which are not
>     compliant with the DFSG". Currently, non-free includes packages
>     with patent problems or other legal issues.

I KNOW I seconded this one already Joey, you must have missed me durring
all the excitement.

> Handling missing stuff in /use/local (#44922)
>   * Stalled for 1 week.
>   * Proposed by Juergen A. Erhard.
>   * Modifies policy to explicitly state that programs must not rely on
>     anything in /usr/local

THis is existing practice.  If it's not policy, it should be.  Seconded.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>             Debian GNU/Linux developer
GnuPG: 2048g/3F9C2A43 - 20F6 2261 F185 7A3E 79FC  44F9 8FF7 D7A3 DCF9 DAB3

<doogie> Overfiend: go to bed.