persistence of /usr/doc/$pkg (Was: debhelper: /usr/doc problems again)

Hi,

        I have also encountered this in my packages, and I found that
 silently failing to create the symlink was not to my liking. My
 solutions was:

  if /usr/doc exists, and /usr/share/doc/$pkg/ dir also exists (if
     it does not, we can't create a symlink)
     if /usr/doc/$pkg/ still exists (yikes),
       remove any .dhelp files, and see of that solves it
     Ask the user of one should move the old files to the new location
        if yes, copy files over, with backup, remove old dir
        else abort with an error
 If not aborted, and if /usr/doc/$pkg does not exist or is a symlink
        create the symlink

        Hmm. Perhaps I should fail if /usr/doc/$pkg is a real file as
 well. Overwriting a symlink should be fine, I think, at leastr for my
 packages.

        I have a shell script that does the above algorithm, if people
 are interested.

        manoj

--
 "Look! There! Evil!.. pure and simple, total evil from the Eighth
 Dimension!" Buckaroo Banzai