Re: Packages should not Conflict on the basis of duplicate funct

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> Because as everyone knows the last 10% takes 90% of the work and often ends up
> hurting the other 90%.

In this case though I've already seen two simple solutions which won't
hurt anyone except the person doing the `odd' setup ...

> The point is that supporting what you want runs contrary to how Debian
> currently works and how most people expect it to.  Is it so hard to type:

[snip - repacking something already in debian for local use]

certainly much harder than simply downloading, compiling and
installing locally.

> Now I do agree with your initial statement, not all things should conflict.
> wmcdplay and xmcd both play cd's -- they dont conflict.  However a deamon
> provides a known service that only one should be performing at ALL times.

Do apache and roxen conflict? Do they supply the same binary, modify
the same configuration files or anything similiar?

No. They both happen to use port 80.

Daemons and servers should not conflict primarily on the basis that
they use the same port.

What happens if I have modified my ssh daemon to use port 80? Should I
file a bug against them because they failed to conflict with my local
port policy? No.

Here is what I think should happen at install:
Package A (let's say Apache) is installed, started and grabs its'
default port. Package B (let's say roxen) is installed, attempts to
start, notices that the port it wants is already taken so either
throws you into a configuration program or complains that you need to
edit the configuration file to specify what port to use.

End of problem. Users needing to installing multiple identd servers,
pop daemons, etc. can only expect the first one to install AND
configure correctly. The others will install BUT will require manual
configuration. Consensus seems to be that multiple servers is a remote
case (I'd beg to differ but ...) so encouraging those users to do a
manual configuration shouldn't be too much of a burden.

Anand.

--
 `When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to
  its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are