Re: Packages should not Conflict on the basis of duplicate funct

On Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 04:44:10PM -0400, Clint Adams wrote:
> > a) I would not test a new daemon on a working machine, I would use a separate
>
> So?
>
> > b) if you know what you are doing, compile the packages by hand, fix their
> > install scripts, and remove the conflicts.  You are trying to circumvent the
> > norm.
>
> If I wanted to compile them by hand, why would I even bother with the
> Debian packaging system?
>
> > Debian is operating on making the easy case easy.  90+% of our users want to
> > just install a package and go.
>
> Perhaps we would have more users if we didn't maintain such a mentality.
> 90+% of our users probably don't run production servers.  Is there some
> reason you don't want to cater to 100% of our users if possible?

Example:
I run gnome, I keep the debian packages installed in the normal location
I compile cvs every once in awhile into /usr/local/gnome
I have the knowlege to do this, and anyone who plans on running something unstable, or outside the "norm" should also have the knowlege to do this.

Now I haven't looked into it much, but debconf may be able to help.
If it is as powerful as it looks, you could put a question on some daemons asking if you will be running more than one instance, and if so configure accordingly. I will personally never do this on a production machine, but if you wish to research it further, I suggest you research debconf

Frank aka Myth

PS: I know my lines are longer than 76 characters, fix your own pager/viewers wordwrap

--
Some people claim that the UNIX learning curve is steep,
but at least you only have to climb it once.