Re: static user IDs

Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au> wrote:
> In article <[🔎] 19990920080237.A3352@hairnet.demon.co.uk> you write:
> >My understanding was that static IDs were for packages that did include the
> >code to support dynamic IDs. There is no really reason at all for a package to
> >have a static ID.
>
> Wrong! Lets demonstrate by counter example:

Okay, you are right.

> Yet, /usr, according to the filesystem standard is meant to be
> sharable among different systems. If these IDs aren't statically
> allocated, you might find that the above SUID and SGID programs
> are SUID and SGID to the *wrong* uid or gid!!!

I thought that SUID and SGID were generally considered a bad thing and should
always be checked very carefully. I could see that in a diskless situation
they would be completely needed, but a lot of care should still be taken.

> Is it really worth it?

Updating the static UIDs is difficult. It means messing with peoples
/etc/passwd files. Also I dislike the references to qmail included on my
system in /etc/passwd. Qmail is non-free and should not be a standard part of
Debian.

> Somebody else suggested that other files (queue files? I can't check
> until I send this) may need to be shared, too, but I can't confirm/deny
> this.

Things like qmail and postfix should not really be sharing queues over NFS and
hence do not need static IDs (am I right?).

--
I consume, therefore I am