Re: [PROPOSAL] changing policy on compiling with -g .. a better way

On Wed, Sep 01, 1999 at 11:48:54AM +0200, Roman Hodek wrote:
> May I come up with a wording proposal?
>
>           CC = gcc
> -         CFLAGS = -O2 -g -Wall # sane warning options vary between programs
> +         CFLAGS = -O2 -Wall # sane warning options vary between programs
>           LDFLAGS = # none
>           install -s # (or use strip on the files in debian/tmp)
>
> -	  The `-g' flag is useful on compilation so that you have available a
> -	  full set of debugging symbols in your built source tree, in case
> -	  anyone should file a bug report involving (for example) a core dump.
> +     The `-g' flag should not be used for normal package builds, because
> +     the debugging infos are stripped off the installed binaries later
> +     anyway. But if an environment variable BUILD_DEBUG is set to `yes',
> +     compilation should be done with -g. The resulting binaries in your
> +     built source tree will then contain the full set of debugging
> +     symbols, in case anyone should file a bug report involving (for
> +     example) a core dump. You can also provide a target `build-debug' in
> +     debian/rules which has the same effect like setting BUILD_DEBUG to
> +     `yes'.

I was thinking more along the lines of "you should use -g in the default build,
unless you provide a build that honors BUILD_DEBUG=y".

This keeps us from forcing current packages to move to this, in the even that
it may be downright insane to modify the build in this way.

Ben