Re: /var/lib, /var/mail

On Tue, Jul 27, 1999 at 01:45:47PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> If we agree on this, a possible plan would be:
>
> potato:
>   Packages reference /var/spool/mail internally.
>   base-files creates a symlink /var/mail -> /var/spool/mail
>
> potato+1: Packages reference /var/mail internally.
>   * base-files creates /var/mail as a real directory and symlinks
>   /var/spool/mail to /var/mail when it is installed by scratch by the
>   boot-floppies script that creates the base system.
>   * If upgrading from a previous version, do nothing.

I'd say actually that any package using /var/mail should depend on the
approprate base-files and we could do this for potato even.  However not
required that packages move to this yet.  (though policy 3 packages should
use /var/mail (lintian test would be good)

At some point (after potato for sure) we can decide that /var/spool/mail
should no longer be used in packages (just as we'll decide policy 2 should
not be used at some point...)

New systems would still have the symlink for historical reasons and old
systems will of course not be changed until the sysadmin swaps the dir and
symlink or whatever...  This is IMO a Good Solution.

> This way, people would be free to move /var/spool/mail/* to /var/mail/*
> at their discretion, but this is never done automatically by the system.

That was the point of the suggestion.  There was actually a bug to this
effect against policy suggesting we do this, but I closed it when it
seemed FHS was going to lose /var/mail since there were complaints about
it.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>             Debian GNU/Linux developer
GnuPG: 2048g/3F9C2A43 - 20F6 2261 F185 7A3E 79FC  44F9 8FF7 D7A3 DCF9 DAB3