New 'Meta-Package' tag for the control file

Martin Bialasinski proposes:

> I am working on converting the tasks and profiles from the base
> installation into ordinary packages.

I've always wanted this, thanks for the investment :)

> This will make the thing easier to manage, and offer these packages
> also for later installation.

Indeed - and focus the selection development on structured installation
with apt.

> One problem is, that if such a task package is installed, one can't
> easily override the selection or remove certain packages - one has to
> remove the task package first.

I see this "problem" as an advantage: the user should *know* that removing
a certain package means that his system no longer does the desired task.

So -- I disagree!

> [on Meta-Package: yes]
> With this flag, descriptions like
>
>   This package has NO files.  It only depends on other packages. Once
>   you install this, and all the packages it depends on, you can remove
>   it, without loosing any functionality.

This also worries me -- in fact I believe that such a message is silly (in
fact I believe that we should keep implementation details out of the
package descriptions).  It should simply say

  This package ensures that your system has full support for <TASK>.

The reason is simple: someone might later want to add some little tiny
functionality that does not make sense without the task package.  A good
example is an overview document or tutorial.  The most natural thing is to
add this inside the metapackage (because with the metapackage you *know*
what to recommend, cross-reference, etc., and it is not obvious which of
the two depends on the other in case they must be separate).  Then the
metapackage suddenly has files in it -- and the restriction becomes a
nuisance.

Some time ago I proposed an alternative which I still believe in:

  Add a new section, "task", which contains packages that are intended to
  group together functionalities from a user's point of view.

  Configure apt to start up with just this section "open" initially on
  installation.

That way we get full synergy :)

Best,
	Kristoffer
--
Kristoffer Høgsbro Rose, phd, prof.associé  <http://www.ens-lyon.fr/~krisrose>
addr. LIP, Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon, 46 Allée d'Italie, F-69364 Lyon 7