Re: Debian conflicts with FHS on /usr/include/{linux,asm}

On 12-Jul-99 tytso@mit.edu wrote:

> Note that having the current kernel header files installed in
> /usr/include/linux is critical to be able to compile source distribution
> of stand-alone modules --- i.e., for the Comtrol Rocketport, the PCMCIA
> drivers, the stand-alone serial driver, etc.

Debian currently uses a system where one needs the kernel source to compile a
modules (like pcmcia) but can compile ANY version of the kernel and pcmcia.
make-kpkg looks in the current dir, assumes it to be 'linux' and then steps
back into .. and looks for modules.  It then builds in there using -I<path I
came from>.

So the system headers need not be matching.