Re: menu, translation, etc

joost witteveen wrote:
> OK, thanks for the responce. I'm probably not going to convince you,
> so I'd really like others to voice their opinions.
>
> If Debian-policy decides that the translations be in the menu entry
> files, then I'll be able to add support for that in meny reasonably
> quickly.
>
> But, I would just like to say why I think we shouldn't put the translations
> in the menu entry files: that way the debian menu tree will basically
> always be mixed-language (for at least some languages), and entries like
> "Dwww Konfiguratie"  will basically indefinately live alongside
> "Lilo Config",   as some entries are translated while others are not.

I see two concerns:

* getting everything translated, and quickly
* keeping the translations in the hands of the developers, and in the
  package it comes from, where it really belongs in the long run

Would it be possible to make the translation packages be effectivly an
add-on? Sort of like how you initially handled the menu files themselves
with /usr/lib/menu/default/. As packages picked up the translated entries
and added them to their own menu files, those translations in the
translation package would become obsolete and could be removed.

--
see shy jo