Re: PROPOSAL: changelog.html.gz sanitization

Branden Robinson wrote:
> Er, uhh, I don't like that because I think that, in general, HTML documents
> should be identifiable as such by their filename.  Ideally, they should
> have the ".html" suffix.

I was going to disagree with this on the ground html is easy to read, until
I read mozilla's changelog. <yuck/>

> How about mandating a non-HTML changelog.gz generated with lynx -dump
> -nolist | gzip?

I have no problem with this. However, I don't think we should mandate the
conversion tool. Any form of conversion to plain text should be acceptable.
The lynx command line can be a suggested way to do it.

> I guess I am proposing this as an amendment.

Ok, I accept the amendment into my proposal. The new proposed text:

  If the upstream changelog file is HTML formatted, it must be accessible as
  `/usr/doc/<package>/changelog.html.gz'. A plain text version of the
  changelog must be accessible as `/usr/doc/<package>/changelog.gz' (this
  can be created by `lynx -dump -nolist').

--
see shy jo