Re: [Debian bugs information: logs for bug#33669]

On Mon, Jul 05, 1999 at 10:47:09AM -0700, Darren O. Benham wrote:
> Is there a policy ruling n this?

I doubt it, however...

>  > > E: gstep-base-dbg: usr-doc-symlink-without-dependency gstep-base
>  > >
>  > > gstep-base-dbg depends on gstep-base-dev, which depends on gstep-base,
>  > > so linitian misses this indirect dependency on gstep-base.
>  >
>  > I don't think policy allows this kind of indirect dependency, actually:
>  >
>  >      /usr/doc/<package-name> may be a symbolic link to a directory in
>  >      /usr/doc only if two packages both come from the same source and the
>  >      first package has a "Depends" relationship on the second. These rules
>  >      are important because copyrights must be extractable by mechanical
>  >      means.
>
> The wording seems to forbid this, but the indirect links don't violate
> the rationale (still extractable by mechanical means).

What happens when gstep-base-dev no longer depends on gstep-base?
Granted that isn't going to happen here, however that it could happen
theoretically is a good reason to require direct dependency IMO.  Given
that the dependency is there anyway this doesn't hurt much.

<apt> it has been said that redhat is the thing Marc Ewing wears on
      his head.