Re: /var/spool/mail AND ~user/mail/incomingmail

In article <[🔎] 199907020032.RAA15345@earth.laney.edu> you write:
>Hi,
>
>I'd like to see support for the user's mail being in their own home dir.
>It's much easier to keep track of each person's usage.

Not to mention more secure...

Personally, I prefer

$HOME/Maildir

and

$HOME/lists/Maildir1
$HOME/lists/Maildir2
$HOME/lists/Maildirn

supported via procmail.

The biggest problem I see with moving mail around this is that
not all programs support checking it in different places. The worst
programs I can think of right now are probably sshd and cfingerd.
I suspect the support in login is a bit buggy, too, but I am not
certain of this.

I have wondered if it would be worth making a small shared library,
with a function 'checkformail' that takes a userid as a parameter and
returns a result {no mail, old mail, new mail}. Such a library could
be customized to the system adminstrators preferences, and should (?) be
easy to integrate into existing applications. In the long term, such a
library could even read a config file in the users home directory...

Another problem is setting the environment variables, eg MAIL and
MAILDIR in one place for a system wide policy.

Comments?
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>