/usr/local stuff [Was Editor and sensible-editor]

Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org> writes:

> On 16-Jun-99, 07:08 (CDT), Goswin Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
> > Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org> writes:
> > > What's so hard about that? If
> > > you want pico to be the system wide default (god forbid), set EDITOR in
> > > /etc/profile and /etc/cshrc (or whatever it's called).
> >
> > NOOOOO, hands of /etc/profile.
>
> Huh? It's his machine. He's free to do whatever he wants with
> /etc/profile, just as any sysadmin may do. It's trivial for a user
> to override.

This actually leads nicely into something I've been thinking about for
a few years.

One of the things that really annoys me about prepackaged
distributions is the way they tend to ignore everything that isn't in
packages.  E.g., the only way to get non-deb GTK themes in
/usr/local/share/themes recognized by the GTK config is to link them
into /usr/share/themes, which is really ugly.  Same with WindowMaker
themes.

I definitely don't think any prepackaged binaries should install
themselves or any components into /usr/local; OTOH, I don't think it
should just ignore things installed there, because it seems that
/usr/local is exactly where you would want to put things like manually
installed themes.

How does this connect with the already ensuing conversation?  See for
yourself:

*** profile.orig        Wed Jun 16 12:03:43 1999
- --- profile     Wed Jun 16 12:04:01 1999
***************
*** 7,9 ****
- --- 7,10 ----

  umask 002
  test -x /usr/bin/check-sendfile && /usr/bin/check-sendfile || /bin/true
+ test -f /usr/local/etc/profile && . /usr/local/etc/profile

I know that a solution like this would make my life as a sysadmin much
easier when installing new machines or reinstalling a machine (as I
had to do last week when I got a new HD), because I could tar up
/usr/local, untar it on the new machine, and everything on the new
machine would magically work.  (There might be an issue in this
example regarding the time that the /usr/local tree is mounted, but
that's another story...)

Kyle

- --
Kyle R. Rose                      "They can try to bind our arms,
Laboratory for Computer Science    But they cannot chain our minds
MIT NE43-309, 617-253-5883             or hearts..."
http://web.mit.edu/krr/www/                           Stratovarius
krose@theory.lcs.mit.edu                              Forever Free