Re: Editor and sensible-editor

On Sun, Jun 13, 1999 at 08:34:31PM +0300, Brock Rozen wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 1999 at 14:57, Joey Hess wrote about "weekly policy summary":
>
> > Editor and sensible-editor
> >   * Under discussion.
> >   * Proposed on 2 Jun 1999 by Goswin Brederlow.
> >   * Instead of having programs use $EDITOR and fall back to editor,
> >     just use sensible-editor.
>
> I didn't see support for pico in this -- thus, I'm against this proposal
> until sensible-editor has pico support. (If I'm mistaken,and it does have
> pico support, then I will second this proposal).
>
> BTW, this isn't in the BTS (At least, I see no reference number above).

I'm about to be harsh on you, so I shall apologize in advance.

Barring the argument that sensible-editor assumes sensible-user who would
never use such a braindead and bloated piece of software for any
practical purpose, your argument demonstrates that you need to be fwopped
mercilessly.  Here is, in its complete glory, /usr/bin/sensible-editor:

#!/bin/bash
shopt -s execfail
exec ${VISUAL:-${EDITOR:-editor}} "$@"
exec ae "$@"
exec vi "$@"
echo "Couldn't find an editor!" 1>&2
echo "Set the \$EDITOR environment variable to your desired editor." 1>&2
exit 1

If you believe this does not support pico the way setting EDITOR in your
environment does, I must say PEBKAC and you need to go back and look over
bash(1) again very badly.

First this script will attempt to run VISUAL from your environment.  If
VISUAL is not set, it attempts to use EDITOR.  If that is not set, it
attempts to run the command "editor" found hopefully in your path.
At this point you should have any number of ways to set your choice
editor.

And even if you don't set your editor in your environment or put
something named editor in your path, there is still the default
/usr/bin/editor which is an /etc/alternatives entry that every useful
text editor almost certainly provides!  All you have to do is change it
to the one you want.  Please see update-alternatives(8) for that.

If all of this does not make sense to you, probably you should not be
trying to second or object to policy proposals.  As you also do not
appear to be in my developer keyring, either you have not yet been added,
you're not a developer, or your key does not include your name.

If you are not a developer, your opinions are still welcome, however only
developers should be making formal seconds and objections to policy
proposals and ammendments.  In the meantime, *FWOP FWOP FWOP*, you
deserve it.  =p

<Knghtbrd> Overfiend - BTW, after we've discovered X takes all of 1.4 GIGS
           to build, are you willing admit that X is bloatware?  =>
<Overfiend> KB: there is a 16 1/2 minute gap in my answer
<acf> knghtbrd: evidence exists that X is only the *2nd* worst windowing
      system ;)