Re: packaging manual/ policy seem to *discourage* pristine source

On 12-Jun-99, 00:35 (CDT), Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> wrote:
> Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ualberta.ca> writes:
> > I like to consider the source code (.c files, etc) and it's transfer
> > encoding (.tar.gz) to be seperate. if you repack it, or recompress it, all
> > you are doing is changing the way it is delivered not what is being
> > delivered which is really what we want to preserve.
>
> This is a bizarre interpretation.  Pristine upstream source is and
> always has been one thing and one thing only:
>
>   * the exact same (compressed) tarball as distributed by the upstream
>     source of the package, as mentioned in the location as found in
>     /usr/doc/<pkg>/copyright

This is a bizarre interpretation. If it unpacks to the same code (such
that "diff -r" produces no output), it's effectively the same source.
Who cares about the packaging? (Yes, I understand that it screws
up md5sums/whatevers on the archive. So what? The files should be
md5summed, not the archive.)

Steve "I'm just being contrary" Greenland