Re: packaging manual/ policy seem to *discourage* pristine source

Jason, I hadn't read back on all this discussion.  I caught up a bit
more.  Sorry to have you hash this out again.

I think your definitions and goals are good and useful.

However, I personally would weigh in, in the case of an upstream
.tar.gz file which dpkg-source can handle and doesn't have other
problems (such as shipping binaries), in that case, I think it's
better to use the "pristine upstream archive" as you call it.  And I
think this normative *recommendation* should be in Policy.

Do you disagree with that point?