Re: weekly policy summary

On Sun, 6 Jun 1999 at 01:19, Marco d'Itri wrote about "Re: weekly policy...":

>  >Daemons should run as root only if really needed (#27205)
>  >  * Old.
>  >  * Proposed by Marco d'Itri.
>  >  * As title; this should be in policy.
> Anyone wants to second this? :-)

I'll bite. It's definitely worthwhile from a security viewpoint -- but it
requires packages to relook at, a lot, their needs for daemons as root.

It could introduce bugs, and we find out that some daemons won't
run properly as root -- but that's easily solved by making them run as
root again. So nothing's lost except time -- with a possible gain in
security.

Yes, this is a good ide.a

--
Brock Rozen                                              brozen@torah.org
Director of Technical Services                             (410) 602-1350