Re: [PROPOSAL DRAFT]: editor and sensible-editor

On 02-Jun-99, 06:22 (CDT), Goswin Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
> Policy states that programms should use $EDITOR if set and else use
> editor as the prefered editor, but why not just use sensible-editor?
>
> sensible-editor will behave as needed by the current policy, but is
> more flexible. It could start xemacs on X and zile on console or do
> other additional checks. I think policy should state that programs
> should use sensible-editor as their editor.

What Ray said, only more so. Programs must use $EDITOR if available,
because that is what the user sets.

However, the "sensible-editor" idea is somewhat independent, in that iff
EDITOR is not set, it could adjust according to situation (console vs.
X).

However, I forsee a long battle about which editors make into sensible
editor, and all kinds of fall-back issues. And is it really that big a
deal if a console editor gets brought up during an X session -- because
most uses of $EDITOR occur while using console programs anyway (crontab,
MUAs, News readers, etc.).

So I guess I'd prefer to leave the situation as it is.

Steve