Re: I'm confused... where do X11 bins go?

> How so?

Branden knows better. And he is already encouraged to overcome all of them :0

> Oh come on. We change the pathes of almost any upstream packaging every day.

Well, from /usr/local to /usr - I am cool with that.

> >, requiring change in a partition scheme of MANY
> > existing systems,
>
> This is a point. But it shouldn't be too hard to find a different partition
> scheme.

It is not difficult to find. It is pretty inconvenient to actually
repartition.

> The Hurd has a symlink . -> /usr  Did the earth change its rotation
> direction? No. Did hell break loose? No. Did we have problems? Yes, exactly
> two: /bin/vi as provided by ae and cpio symlink from /sbin to /usr/sbin.
> What a big deal!

Great. Play with Hurd. This is completely new system with near zero install
base, not striving for compatibility with existing UNIX systems. Go ahead
and change everything you want there. Noone would be hurt or annoyed.
You have a clean slate - if you find something very usefull in this
experimentation - I am sure it will find way "upstream" pretty soon.

> We have grandfathered /usr/X11R6 long enough already. What actually is the
> benefit? For major upgrades of the Window System or concurrent versions we
> have our packaging system.

Yes, we do. And it can handle multiple library version existing concurrently
and in the same directory. We put up with it, but I still don't like it.
More serious drawback is when you would want to have two vesrions of the
same binary linked against two different set of libraries (this may be
required in case of the new version not being backward compatible).
Then we will need to have different names for this binaries and handle default
set by alternatives mechanism. To change default one would have to change a
whole forest of the symlinks and default is on a per-system basis.
In case of different directories for binaried and libraries - every user can
simply change PATH and live with default. Why change this convenient scheme?

Thanks,

Alex Y.
--
   _