Re: I'm confused... where do X11 bins go?

On Sun, May 30, 1999 at 09:01:19PM -0400, Alex Yukhimets wrote:

> Yes, difficult.

How so?

> And unnecessary, and useless, and inconvenient, and
> destroying standards and traditions

Oh come on. We change the pathes of almost any upstream packaging every day.

>, requiring change in a partition scheme of MANY
> existing systems,

This is a point. But it shouldn't be too hard to find a different partition
scheme.

> not-easily-extendible to another window system which may
> come,

??? For what do we have our packaging system?

> overcrowding already OVERcrowded /usr/bin, etc. etc. etc.

They are not crowded. They contain binaries. You have them in your path.
Everything is fine.

> Please, think of everything accompanied this move before making a revolution.

I think you are exaggerating. You have made one good point, the partitioning
scheme. The rest is fear. Fear eats soul.

The Hurd has a symlink . -> /usr  Did the earth change its rotation
direction? No. Did hell break loose? No. Did we have problems? Yes, exactly
two: /bin/vi as provided by ae and cpio symlink from /sbin to /usr/sbin.
What a big deal!

We have grandfathered /usr/X11R6 long enough already. What actually is the
benefit? For major upgrades of the Window System or concurrent versions we
have our packaging system.

Thanks,
Marcus