Re: CORRECTION: weekly policy summary

> I've been misunderstanding how the policy process is supposed to work. It
> turns out we have a lot more amendments than I thought.
>
> All amendments marked as accepted below should be marked in the BTS as
> forwarded - they are ready to become part of policy. All other amendments
> below are items with 2 or more seconds, and they should be changed to
> amendments in the BTS.

I'm about to do that.

> Note: for details of the policy process, see
> http://www.debian.org/~srivasta/policy/ch3.html. Also, this summary is
> available on the web at http://kitenet.net/~joey/policy-weekly.html.

Now I'm getting really confused.  It seems that what Manoj is
describing is that someone files a wishlist bug to the BTS with
subject "[PROPOSAL] blah blah", then we throw it around for a bit,
until the proposer decides to propose it as a formal amendment, at
which point we look for seconders and the like.

What actually seems to happen is that we almost immediately start in
the "Amendment" stage in most cases: someone proposes something,
within hours it gets seconders or blasted, and then it either sits
happily for a few weeks or generates a flamewar.  (Seems quite
healthy, really.)  So if I get the idea correctly, if it gets blasted
and generates a flamewar, it never reaches the [AMENDMENT] status and
ends up as [REJECTED], as it does if a proposal gets stalled in the
[AMENDMENT] state.

Does that make any sense?  I think I understand it now.

>                            Accepted Amendments
>
> Separate menu policy (like virtual package list) (#37713)
>   * Consensus.
> [...]

OK, these go in as [ACCEPTED YYYY/MM/DD], marked normal forwarded.

>                                Amendments
>
> Let's Debian blow... gracefully!
>   * Under discussion.
[...]

These can go in as [AMENDMENT YYYY/MM/DD], or at least they would if
there were an associated bug report.

>                             Active proposals
>
> Automatic installation and configuration
>   * Under discussion.

So these are all [PROPOSAL]s, right?

   Julian

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk