Re: Making sure that policy amendments don't die

Julian Gilbey wrote:
> I'm not sure I fully understand this.

Well it looks like I've misunderstood parts of the process, leading to this
confusion. The page describing it isn't entirely clear to me.

> Can I try repeating it and you
> say if I am correct?  I'm also not quite sure how your categories and
> Joey's (amendments, consensus, active proposals and stalled proposals)
> match up.
>
> Original pre-formal discussion period:
>    Subject: [PROPOSAL] blah blah
>    Severity: wishlist

Somehow I'd gotten the idea we needed to get a consensus here before moving
onto the next step. Not true. Just some seconds, right? Is 2 enough?

> Start of formal discussion period, when proposal is put forward as an
> amendment:
>    Subject: [AMENDMENT DD/MM/YYYY] blah blah
>    Severity: normal

The following proposals have 2 seconds and should therefore become
amendments:

  - Separate menu policy (like virtual package list) (#37713)
  - Adopt the FHS in place of FSSTND (#37345)
  - Let's Debian blow... gracefully!
  - Rewrite of section 5.7 (Programs for the X Window System) (#38212)
  - Md5sum proposal
  - Software depending on non-US (#37251)

Plus these that have been stalled for a while:
  - moving the menu hierarchy into debian policy (#36051)
  	(I hereby withdraw this proposal, #37713 is better.)
  - moving the menu hierarchy into debian policy (the other varient)
  	(I hereby withdraw my second to this proposal, #37713 is better.
	 So this only has 1 second and is gone from this list too.)

> If and when a formal proposal is accepted, so that the proposed
> amendment is now waiting to be implemented into policy (as listed in
> Joey's weekly mailing as amendments or consensus?):
>    Subject: [AMENDMENT DD/MM/YYYY] blah blah
>    Severity: normal
>    Marked as forwarded

The following amendments need to have this done to them then:
	- Libtool archive (*.la) files in -dev' packages (#37257)
	- Logrotation (#37342)
	- Utmp group proposal (#37389)
	- Separate menu policy (like virtual package list) (#37713)
	- Adopt the FHS in place of FSSTND (#37345)

I've updated the summary page, http://kitenet.net/~joey/policy-weekly.html
I think I'll repost it since I goofed so badly. :-)

--
see shy jo