Re: md5sum proposal

The md5sums of individual files are not only helpful for security but
for the verification of the integrity of installed files in general. RPM
includes perms etc in their database as well as noted by others before and
I wish we would do that as well.

On Mon, 24 May 1999, Anthony Towns wrote:

> On Sun, May 23, 1999 at 02:55:58PM -0700, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> > Seconded....
> > On Mon, 17 May 1999, Piotr Roszatycki wrote:
> > > I think DEBIAN/md5sums file should be required for all packages.
>
> Just as a note: I don't object to this; I simply don't think it'll
> improve security in any conceivable way, and as such I don't think it's
> at all appropriate to claim that it does. I do think it has at least
> some utility for recovery purposes.

               Christoph Lameter  (MS CS, M.Div.) http://lameter.com
                 Adjunct Professor (CS & Rel) University of Phoenix