Re: utmp group proposal

    Marco> On May 20, "Karl M. Hegbloom" <psu25682@odin.cc.pdx.edu>
    Marco> wrote:
    >> I've noticed that there is currently a `uucp' group, a `dip'
    >> group, and a `dialout' group.  Do we really need all three?
    >> What is the
    Marco> Yes. uucp is used by the UUCP program, dialout owns the
    Marco> modem device and dip can start pppd and dip.

    >> `minicom' is group owned by `uucp'.
    Marco> This is wrong. BTW, it's not even sgid, so I see no reason
    Marco> to chown the binary to the uucp group.

 Should it be `chgrp dialout', with o-x?  Or root.root, o+x, and rely
 on device permissions for access control, so that a machine could
 have perhaps a ttyS for a serial line, and another for a dialout
 modem or something?  Is that real?

 The question is, do we really need `dialout', `dip' AND `uucp'?  You
 tell me and we'll both know.  I'll listen to more experienced advice.

--
mailto:psu25682@odin.cc.pdx.edu (Karl M. Hegbloom)
mailto:karlheg@debian.org (Karl M. Hegbloom)