Re: md5sum proposal

Piotr Roszatycki wrote:

> >  a) It really provides no security.
> It is not for *this* security reason (crackers, hackers and others)

[...]
> A few weeks ago I had a system crash. I had to check which packages was
> broken. I had to do this _quickly_ and _easly_.
> I lost a lot of time because I had to do it manually - a lot of packages
> didn't have md5sums check file.
>
> md5sums doesn't repend of dpkg. It is possible to use "3rd party" tool
> like debsums.

I agree.  I didn't second the proposal because I thought it helped
security, I seconded the proposal because it helps to find
corrupted file after a system crash.

I think that those that oppose the proposal should propose to
_remove_ the md5sums file (since they think they bloat the system
and have no purpose).  It's all or nothing in my view.

Peter