Re: md5sum proposal

>         I have a different memory of events. This proposal was brought
>         up on this list, and was shot down because
>  a) It really provides no security.
It is not for *this* security reason (crackers, hackers and others)

>  b) It would bloat the packaging system, when it does not really solve
>     the problem
Good policy could help.

>  c) It does not address the config files, which are quite as critical
>     -- more critical, in fact, than other files, because other files
>        can be foxed by reistalling the packages from a known good
>        archive/CD
Config files could be excluded from md5sums.

>  d) There are standalone solutions that do a good job -- though we may
>     need to work on free replacements.
You mean free solutions?

A few weeks ago I had a system crash. I had to check which packages was
broken. I had to do this _quickly_ and _easly_.
I lost a lot of time because I had to do it manually - a lot of packages
didn't have md5sums check file.

md5sums doesn't repend of dpkg. It is possible to use "3rd party" tool
like debsums.

--

Piotr "Dexter" Roszatycki
mailto:dexter@fnet.pl