Re: [PROPOSAL] Patented software == non-free?

On Wed, May 12, 1999 at 13:01:59 -0600, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     Encumbered in which country? In many countries (including the one
>     where non-us.debian.org resides) software patents are not accepted.
>
> Which country is that?

The Netherlands.

> If it is in Europe, I am afraid the situation may be about to change.

I'm not sure if the situation isn't bad already. E.g. according to Ascom,
holders of the IDEA patent, IDEA is patented in most of Europe, including
the Netherlands (see http://www.ascom.ch/infosec/idea/licensing.html).

Could you provide a pointer to the change you're referring to? One of the
worst scenarios I can come up with is an international treaty regulating
mutual recognition of (software) patents.

Ray
--
J.H.M. Dassen                 | RUMOUR  Believe all you hear. Your world may
jdassen@wi.LeidenUniv.nl      | not be a better one than the one the blocks